The ABA’s Commission on Women in the Profession released a report Leveraging Grit and Growth Mindset to Drive Team Success. The report is only 34 pages but for a summary of the information, we recommend Gritty Teams Help Retain Women Lawyers on Law360.com.
The new report is a follow-up to the Commission of Women in the Profession’s 2017 publication of Grit: The Secret to Advancement, Stories of Successful Women Lawyers, which was part of the ABA’s The Grit Project. Created to educate women lawyers about the science behind grit and growth mindset, The Grit Project website provides tools to assess and learn about these two important traits, grit and growth mindset, found to be common in successful women lawyers. We use case studies from The Grit Project in our leadership class.
Although The Grit Project and the new report focus on the importance of grit and growth mindset for women in the legal profession, we believe they are essential to the success of all lawyer leaders! Grit and growth mindset of foundational topics in the Leadership of Self section of our book, as well as in the Leadership of Self segment of our class. Much of our class is spent guiding our students to consider the following as goals in their journey as lawyer leaders:
- Make every decision guided by principled values, emphasizing honor and integrity.
- Courageously face challenges to get grittier.
- See the world with a growth mindset.
- Fail gracefully to see the growth potential.
- Gain resilience to bounce back higher.
- Seek feedback and embrace the process to gain understanding and progress.
- Be inclusive as you nurture relationships.
As always, we invite your feedback and welcome your input! Let us know how we can help.